Problem with "empty VG"

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Nov 1 00:44:43 CET 2011

> Hi,
>
> I've recently discovered that declaring an empty VG (ie: without
> affecting LV) lead to this error:
>
> Starting setup-storage 1.3
> Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /usr/share
> /fai/setup-storage//Parser.pm line 1060, <$config_file> line 1.
> Using config file: /tmp/fai/DISK_CONFIG-TEST2.unified
> [: 19: -eq: unexpected operator

[...]
> Any idea on how I can declare/create a totally empty VG ?

Argh, that case just requires a few more checks at some points where the code
implicitly assumes that some LVs are defined. Not really hard to fix, just need
to sit down and properly test that.

Could you please let me know how urgent that is for you? Would the workaround
you presented be ok for another month? This bug wouldn't be forgotten, just
trying to figure out how to schedule a few tasks.

Thanks a lot,