what's the correct way to declare LVM on entire disk ?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Nov 1 00:37:36 CET 2011

Hi,

[...]
> Adding the "raw-disk" statement worked until our recent migration
> from experimental branch of FAI to stable (3.4.8) branch from
> squeeze.
>
> Now the syntax "raw-disk - 0 - -" is not understood anymore.
> It fails with error "Volume group raw has not been declared yet"

[...]
> I'm wondering if something is broken now, or if the disk_config
> syntax has changed (and I should replace the raw-disk by something
> else) or whatever I don't think about...

The problem simply is that this feature wasn't merged into 3.4.8 - it's still
available in 4.0* versions only, i.e., experimental builds or manual builds from
SVN trunk.

We do work on getting 4.0 released some time soon, but no timeline has been
fixed yet (we release when it's ready...).

What you might want to go for, however, is simply using the fai-setup-storage
package from experimental, but otherwise stick with FAI 3.4.8. That should be
safe to do.

Sorry,