Restart a FAI installation without reboot

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue May 10 10:00:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

[...]
> I tried it with these commands and it works but it doesn't look nice

I wasn't really convinced whether this would work at all, but then again there
isn't much of a reason why it shouldn't work :-) Good to know that indeed it
*does* work.

> umount /var/lib/fai/config/
> umount /target/dev/pts
> umount /target/boot/
> umount /target/sys/
> umount /target/proc/
> umount /target/dev
> umount /target/
> /etc/init.d/rcS
>
> Is there an easier solution availabe? e.g "fai-restart-installation" ?

Patrick, what about simply adding a script in the NFSROOT that performs this
sequence of commands? Maybe try umount -a instead, however, which (1) makes the
sequence simpler and (2) should be safer with respect to the number of
directories that might be mounted under /target.

Thomas, why not have such a script in the fai-nfsroot package? I suppose that
more testing is warranted, but it could be pretty helpful as one may even fix
problems in the config space without doing a reboot...

Best regards,