Restart a FAI installation without reboot

Patrick Cervicek patrick at failist.spamtrap.hs-esslingen.de
Fri May 6 18:29:13 CEST 2011

Is there an easy method to restart a FAI Installation without rebooting
the target machine?
Usually, when an installation is finished, "<enter to reboot>" appears.
In our FAI environment, the user/admin can choose some parameters during
the FAI installation process (in the "defclass.DEFAULT" hook)
e.g what kind of operating system should be installed on the target
machine. This settings can also be done remote over SSH.
This picture summarizes our installation procedure:
http://lisas.de/~patrick/blog/img/ablauf-eng.png

Sometimes it happens that the admin chooses wrong settings and needs to
reinstall the machine. Normaly we tell our users "Could you please reboot
the machine again with our USB stick?" and we can redefine
our settings and restart the installation process over ssh. But sometimes
no user is available who could do that job (or we simply don't want
to bother our users)

I tried it with these commands and it works but it doesn't look nice

umount /var/lib/fai/config/
umount /target/dev/pts
umount /target/boot/
umount /target/sys/
umount /target/proc/
umount /target/dev
umount /target/
/etc/init.d/rcS

Is there an easier solution availabe? e.g "fai-restart-installation" ?