/dev/md1 is already in use. SW raid

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon May 2 01:23:49 CEST 2011

Hi David,

[...]
> So, your tip, Michael, seems to have fixed the issue with the server freezing when manipulating mdadm however setup storage still seems to dislike this hardware. This is 4.0~beta2+experimental70.

[...]

Sorry for getting back to this one very late. If you still have this system
available (and in its semi-broken state):

What is the result of doing the

- mdadm --assemble --scan
  (should bring to life all the arrays; maybe also do the explicit stop before)
- mdadm --assemble --scan
  (that is, yet another call to --assemble *without* stopping the arrays before)

Do we then get "... is already in use" !?

Thanks a lot,