Aligning a partiton with setup-storage

Patrick Cervicek patrick at failist.spamtrap.hs-esslingen.de
Tue Mar 29 15:39:38 CEST 2011

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Michael Tautschnig wrote:

> Thanks again for providing all the information; I have finally implemented an
> "align-at" option in a patch included in 4.0~beta2+experimental7. It would be
> great if you could give that one a try. The use is as follows:
>
> disk_config sda align-at:4K
>
> which should make all non-preserved partitions start at multiples of 4k-blocks
> and also have them end at proper points such that no holes appear. Testing and
> feedback would be much appreciated.

We upgraded fai-setup-storage but now the "align-at:4k disklabel:msdos"
option does not longer work. It looks like patch revision 6285 is causing
this:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/fai/branches/experimental/patches/setup-storage_no-cylinder-boundaries?op=diff&rev=6285&sc=1

After reverting this patch everything worked again.
We do not need backward compatibility for our clients. Could you
please build in e.g. a "--force-alignment" option so we can still use partition
alignment?

Patrick