[setup_storage] parted non-zero exit code

Jurrie Overgoor jurrie at stillus.nl
Mon Mar 21 19:48:32 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a system with one disk (/dev/sda) which has two partitions:
/dev/sda1 is the main system disk; /dev/sda2 is a recoverydisk. The
system is initially installed using an USB stick. At the end of the
installation, the USB stick is copied to /dev/sda2. Once in a while, I
have the system reboot itself from /dev/sda2, to perform a "reset to
factory defaults" install. This always went ok, untill recently... I
recreated the fai-mirror, made a new fai-cd, and put this on the
recoverydisk.

Now, I get the error:
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Command had non-zero exit code

Manually giving the command gives a bit more info, parted outputs:
Error: Partition(s) on /dev/sda are being used.

This is indeed the case (/dev/sda2 is mounted of course, as it is the
partition we install from), but never gave errors, and shouldn't give
errors (I think). I supposed it should be possible to install from
/dev/sda2 to /dev/sda1.

The disk config is like so:
disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid bootable:1
preserve_lazy:1,2 always_format:1
primary   /   5G-   ext3   rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro   createopts="-L
root" tuneopts=""
primary   -   2G   ext3   rw,noatime   createopts="-L recoverydisk"
tuneopts=""

setup-storage is version 1.3. (Dpkg version is fai-setup-storage 3.4.7.)
I'm using Debian Squeeze. (If anyone needs more info, I'd be happy to
supply it of course.)

Again: this used to work, and now it doesn't. Please help me, I'm kinda
desperate :)

With kind regards,

Jurrie