Question about setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Mar 16 18:13:18 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,

[...]
> the old *setup_harddisk* created the following partition table:
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1        1275    10241406   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2            1276        1530     2048287+   5  Extended
> /dev/sda5            1276        1530     2048256   82  Linux swap / Solaris
>
> Additionally on some of our machines a /scratch partition starting at
> cylinder 1531 was established:
>
> /dev/sda3            1531       30401   231906307+  83  Linux
>

> In contrast to that the new setup-storage command creates a somewhat
> different partition table.
>
> disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos bootable:1 fstabkey:uuid
> primary  /        10000    ext3  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
> logical  swap      2000    swap  rw
>
> leads to partitions which are 1 cylinder shorter than before:
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1        1274    10233373+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2            1275        1528     2040255    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/sda5            1275        1528     2040223+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
>

> How should the configuration file for setup-storage look like to
> reproduce the original partition table?
>
> The man page doesn't mention 'c' for cylinders as size specification.

Cylinders aren't really useful these days as the numbers you get don't relate to
anything really physically existing. Therefore I don't see much use in
implementing this unit of measurement. If you need a really precise
specification you may go to the level of bytes (use parted -s /dev/bla -s unit B
print to obtain that information from one of the existing systems).

As setup-storage has been implemented from scratch, the details of computing the
size, which involve rounding to boundaries, may show subtle differences with
respect to the results of setup_harddisks. But, just curious, why does that
small difference matter for you?

Best regards,