Ubuntu natty setup-storage question

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Jul 29 20:06:58 CEST 2011

Hi Andreas,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Would you also have the exact disk layout available *before* you did this
installation run? That would help me reproduce the problem/verify that it's been
solved already by some later patch (which is likely as parts of this
size-computation code have been rewritten since).

[...]
> Here the disk_config/SCRATCH file:
>
> root at faisrv:/srv/fai/config/disk_config# cat SCRATCH
> # example of new config file for setup-storage
> #
>
> disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos bootable:1 fstabkey:uuid preserve_always:3
> primary  /        10000    ext3  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
> logical  swap      2000    swap  rw
> primary  /scratch  0-      ext3  rw
>

> I.e. if already existing, the /scratch partition is supposed to be
> preserved, otherwise it should be created.
>
> Any idea?

First of all, that's not quite the semantics of preserve_always; preserve_always
will require that the partition already exists. You want preserve_lazy, it
seems.

> And why does parted want to start the first partition at 32256B?
> (bad performance?)

That was the previous default, i.e., sector 63 as MSDOS did. We're new moving to
1MB, which should be better, but this is only part of experimental FAI packages
right now.

Best,