Is DHCP server absolutely required - new FAI user

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:17:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Karthik Kambatla
<kkambatl at cs.purdue.edu> wrote:
> The guide says we need a DHCP server. The machines are assigned static IPs,
> and we can't host a DHCP server in addition to the existing one

You don't need an _additional_ DHCP Server.
You can just configure your existing one to provide the clients to be
installed with the information they need to PXE Boot from your FAI
Server.

> in the
> department. Is there a way to get network access for the static IPs using
> say the CD/USB booting.

You can make a boot cd that points the systems to the right install server.
It should be described in the FAI guide.

Henning

--
Henning Sprang
http://www.sprang.de