Repairing a failed grub_pc installation

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Jan 19 20:35:23 CET 2011

> >     > First, the sysinfo system had not mounted /usr, /var, etc under /target.
> >     > Wasn't it the case some years ago that a system booted into FAI sysinfo
> >     > automagically found the root partitition and used the /etc/fstab there
> >     > to mount the remaining partitions under /target ? Has this functionality
> >     > been lost somehow?
> > This should still work. But I'm not sure if it also works when usiong
> > lvm and raid.

The code is in lib/fai-mount-disk, but I have no idea whether this still works,
I'm slightly confused by the bash magic in there.

[...]
> Is it possible that the missing /usr/({s}bin|lib) is causing problems
> for udev, and that leads to partially-populated /dev?

I don't think that /dev is bind-mounted into /target in case of sysinfo - for
installs this happens in updatebase only, which obviously isn't run in case of
sysinfo. Hence your problems with that.

Best regards,