setup-storage: preserve partitions until the layout changes

Manuel Hachtkemper hacman at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu Feb 24 11:54:00 CET 2011

Hi,

> I'm not sure whether Manuel actually wants a "lazy" preserve, or indeed the
> reinstall one
in fact, we currently use the reinstall preserve-option together with two different "fai-chboot configs".

> And even if lazy is the desired way: there
> must be some way to tell whether you will want to preserve the partitions or
> not.
Just to explain, what our idea was:
For our new installation (on another fai-server with a vcs-branch of the current config-space) we had to change our disk-layout because of much more packages in our package_config. (initial is required)
We buy new computers, which have preinstalled linux distributions on their harddisks. (initial is required)
Or we want to reinstall one of our "new installation" computers. We don't intend to change the disk_config and if we do, we know what we're up to. (initial isn't desired)

> Obviously that means more work for you and changes to your config
> space, but I also believe that it is a site-specific requirement and therefore
> best fits in your config space :-)
I guess so, after I read the replies. ;)

Thank you for the fast response,
Manuel Hachtkemper