How to automatically boot from the local HDD after installation?

Huioon Kim pcandme.kr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:39:30 CET 2011

Thanks all!

I managed to solve the problem.

The solution was to run 'faimond' command with '-b' option on the install
server before install client's automatic installation begins.

However, I'm not sure this is correct method. Somebody can tell me if this
is the best way or not. :)

Anyway I could what I want to do.

Thank you for all your helps again! :D

2011/2/14 Huioon Kim <pcandme.kr at gmail.com>

> Hi, all.
>
> I'm a Korean user and this is my first post. :D
>
> The question is that how to boot an installation client from its local hard
> disk after the installation?
>
> I know how to automatically reboot the client after the installation by
> using "reboot" flag, but in the next booting, the installation procedure is
> repeated.
>
> The client is booted via PXE when the installation is performed, so now I
> should manually make the client to be booted from its local hard disk using
> "fai-chboot -o <hostname>" command at a FAI server.
>
> In the boot priority setup of BIOS of the client machine, PXE is first and
> local hard disk is next.
>
> The section 5.10 of FAI Guide describes that "Normally this should boot the
> new installed system from its second boot device, the local hard disk", and
> I think this implies that the client should be booted from local hard disk
> after the installation without any configuration. Am I missing something
> here?
>
> Of course, I can remove the "reboot" from $FAI_FLAGS, monitor the
> installation procedure using faimond and faimond-gui, run the "fai-chboot
> -o" command after all installations are finished, and then go to the room
> where the clients are and reboot all the machines manually. But it's
> somewhat tiresome. ;-)
>
> Do I know something wrong? Is there a cool method to address this problem?
>
> Hopefully there is a great method and just I don't know it. :D
>
> Thanks for reading my question and I'm so sorry for my poor English.
>
> Huioon

Huioon Kim

Optical Nano Technology Laboratory (ONTL)
Dept. of Information and Communications (DIC)
Gwangu Institute of Science & Technology (GIST)
261 Cheomdan-gwagiro(Oryong-dong), Buk-go,
Gwanju, 500-712, Republic of Korea
Tel: +82-62-715-2257
Fax: +82-62-715-3143
E-mail: pcandme at gist.ac.kr