Ubuntu natty: debootstrap doesn't install aptitude

Stephan Adig sh at sourcecode.de
Mon Feb 7 17:17:01 CET 2011

Hi Andreas

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 15:37 +0100, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
> Stephan Adig writes:
>  > On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 14:32 +0100, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
>  > [...]
>  > Rational:
>  >
>  > 	As Ubuntu still stays with apt-get, we should at least try to use the
>  > installed by default utilities. I don't know the status of aptitude
>  > inside Ubuntu (I don't use aptitude myself), but having Michael Vogt on
>  > board of the Canonical ship, I think it would better to stay with
>  > apt-get and not aptitude.
>  >
>  > This is my personal opinion, and this is Ubuntu only.
>
> This is someting more 'political' I would say.

I don't think so, it's political. Ubuntu and Debian do have several
differences between the two distros.
That's a normal divertion between the two.

> In terms of keeping the original package as 'original' as possible one
> better should resolve the aptitude dependency as described above, as
> Thomas seems to like aptitude... :-)

Honestly, on Ubuntu the fai packages are changed in some ways, like
NFSROOT dependencies Ubuntu doesn't have, or named differently.
So having some "special treatment" for the package doesn't cost money.

> On the other hand it might be a good idea to generally switch to
> apt-get. But my suggestion would be to do this in the Debian packages.
> Some time later the Ubuntu packages also would not rely on aptitude
> any longer as an automatic outcome.

I think Thomas had something in mind to default to aptitude. I don't
know why.
But if it works when you replace aptitude with install, we are a step
further to a good FAI package in Ubuntu :)

Anyways, I'm trying to find the changelog of debootstrap to not install
aptitude anymore...

Regards,

\sh

--