Install failing when an old filesystem was present

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Aug 19 16:10:18 CEST 2011

Hi Vivien,

Sorry for the late reply.

[...]
> After investigating more, it turned out that there used to be on the
> disk, at the same place, a ReiserFS filesystem. I actually found out
> the following :

[...]

Hmm, that's an issue that was previously only known to me for RAID devices (see
CAVEATS, first item, in the setup-storage man page).

[...]
> A quick "wipefs --all /dev/system/swap" fixed the issue, and
> setup-storage then ran fine.

Cool, to be honest, I didn't know about wipefs before :-)

> Now, on to "how do we fix this issue ?"
>
> I see several ways this could be done :
>  - add a "wipe" action that should be run before an install, booting
> something like DBAN through PXE, and wiping everything.
>  - before destroying any partition/vg/other, perform a "wipefs
> --all" on it.
> I like the second solution better, though.

Me too, I really like that idea. I'll try to build that wipefs call into
setup-storage, but don't know whether I'll manage today. Indeed this would also
solve the problem listed in CAVEATS, which would be really nice.

Best,