/dev/md1 is already in use. SW raid

David Dreezer dave at socialstrata.com
Tue Apr 19 00:26:04 CEST 2011

I got a bit of a chance to do some more investigation today.

I added the following to the kernel line: acpi=off noapic libata.force=noncq which resulted in this
append initrd=initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem acpi=off noapic libata.force=noncq ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/app/fai/nfsroot boot=live  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install SERVER=mg006 hostname=c-fs1qa.qa01.groupee-inc.net

Net change, none.  Same error in the same place. format.log attached.

I then sshed to the client and did this

root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md1
mdadm: stopped /dev/md1
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md5
mdadm: stopped /dev/md5
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md6
mdadm: stopped /dev/md6
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md7
mdadm: stopped /dev/md7
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md8
mdadm: stopped /dev/md8
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md9
mdadm: stopped /dev/md9
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md10
mdadm: stopped /dev/md10
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --stop /dev/md11
mdadm: stopped /dev/md11

No freeze or lock up so next I did this:

root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --assemble --scan
mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md5 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md6 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md7 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md8 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md9 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md10 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md11 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).

Note I didn't yet at this point use --config=/tmp/fai/mdadm-from-examine.conf

root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# cd /
root at c-fs1qa:/# ls
bin  boot  dev	etc  fastboot  home  initrd.img  lib  live  media  mnt	opt  proc  root  sbin  selinux	srv  sys  target  tmp  usr  var  vmlinuz
root at c-fs1qa:/# mkdir /app
root at c-fs1qa:/# mount /dev/md11 /app
root at c-fs1qa:/# cd /app
root at c-fs1qa:/app# ls
backup	data  eve  imports  lost+found	marzen_logs  mysql  tmp  weblogs

This is the data that was on the hard disc before we started trying to fai install this machines. I'm not sure why, but I hadn't expected to see any old data on this drive.

I next unmounted /app then issued mdadm --stop --scan

And issued

root at c-fs1qa:/# mdadm --assemble --scan --config=/tmp/fai/mdadm-from-examine.conf
mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md5 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md6 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md7 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md8 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md9 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md10 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
mdadm: /dev/md11 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).

So, it'll assemble

next I did
root at c-fs1qa:/tmp/fai# mdadm --manage /dev/md8 --add /dev/sdb8
mdadm: re-added /dev/sdb8

So, your tip, Michael, seems to have fixed the issue with the server freezing when manipulating mdadm however setup storage still seems to dislike this hardware. This is 4.0~beta2+experimental70.

Sorry if this email is too long winded, wanted to be sure that I gave all the info that I can

David Dreezer