RAID setup problem with fai 3.4.2

John jello at waste.org
Mon Apr 4 23:28:09 CEST 2011

Hi, I'm using the FAI 3.4.2 packages for Ubuntu Lucid from
http://ppa.launchpad.net/fai/ppa/ubuntu/. In general it's been working very
well, but I'm trying now to set up a box with software raid and running into
errors from setup-storage. Any help would be much appreciated.

The contents of disk_config/PHYSICAL_APPLIANCE are:

----
disk_config sda virtual
primary -       0-      -       -
#primary        -       4096    -       -

disk_config sdb virtual
primary -       0-      -       -
#primary        -       4096    -       -

disk_config raid
raid1   /       sda1,sdb1       ext4    rw,noatime      createopts="-m 1"
#raid1  swap    sda2,sdb2       swap    sw
----

(I commented out the swap MD just in case that was causing some kind of
issue, but I'll want that in the final config)

When I run without debugging, I get this in format.log:

----
Starting setup-storage 1.3
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/PHYSICAL_APPLIANCE
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
Parted could not read a disk label (new disk?)
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit B print free
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit TiB print
Parted could not read a disk label (new disk?)
Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit TiB print
Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit B print free
Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit chs print free
    Finding all volume groups
  No volume groups found
Executing: mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions
Cannot satisfy pre-depends for true: ,type_raid_/dev/sda1 -- system left
untouched.
----

If I run 'mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions' there's no output.
I've attached the output of a debug run, please let me know if there's any
other info that would be helpful.

Thanks much.