/etc/fai/NFSROOT

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Wed Sep 22 14:33:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

> Hello, i want to install the packages 'x-window-system-core',
> 'gnome','gdm' and 'python'. May i put them at
> the top group of /etc/fai/NFSROOT and recreate the nfsroot?

You have to add the packages to your partial mirror /media/mirror
(live/filesystem.dir/media/mirror/ if you're using a Live CD or USB
stick instead of a FAI server).

The most comfortable way to do this is:

  1.) Add the package names to a package definition file ("FAI class")
of your choice in the 'package_config' folder of your FAI config space
(e.g. /var/lib/fai/config/package_config/)

  2.) Run fai-mirror to create a (update your) partial mirror. See the
manpage for more information (man fai-mirror, or online at:

http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Fai-mirror
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/doc/man/fai-mirror.html

Note: I have constructed a local mirror for all packages of our own
development (i.e. packages that cannot be found on a Debian mirror), and
my solution looks like this: 1.) copy file to 'pool' folder in our
repository (= local mirror), 2.) update the repository's description
files with a script. This is probably not about your current problem,
but if you're interested I can post the solution details.

I've written a short blog about this:
http://linux.bittner.it/blog/howto-build-your-own-debian-repository-2863/

The complete script to update an "out-of-date" repository is not yet
included, but the description about it is complete.

Hope that helps,
Peter