Missing bootable:1 in the simple example

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Sep 17 23:19:42 CEST 2010

Hi Maximiliano,

> I'm setting up a fai for installing squeeze clients, and I found (after a
> number of failed installations), that the partition table is missing the
> bootable flag.
>
> I'm not really sure if this is due to grub-pc now requiring this or if this
> applies to lenny as well. But in any case it would be nice if
> disk_config/FAIBASE includes a bootable:1 , so it actually boots after
> installation. :)

Sorry for replying very late, but your report is indeed very interesting. For
one, you're the only one I know of who is having such issues; on the other hand,
I almost considered removing the "bootable" option as it didn't seem to be
necessary anymore (well, that was with grub 1 and lenny). Do you have any way of
providing some additional debugging, like installing lenny instead? Could you
also elaborate a bit on what exactly fails? Probably it doesn't boot, but does
it not even come up with a Grub shell, or does it fail somewhere within grub?

Thanks a lot,