cannot stat /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/part_msdos.mod

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Sep 17 18:23:22 CEST 2010

> Hello,
>
> While using 3.4~beta4+experimental4 , I ran into this:
>
> shell.log:grub-mkimage: error: cannot stat /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/part_msdos.mod
>
> which causes
>
> GRUB_PC/10-setup     FAILED with exit code 1.
>
> and a non-bootable system.
>
> The packages "grub-common" and "grub-pc" seem to get installed without
> any warnings. The rest of the installation logs look quite smooth
> without noticeable anomalies.
>
> Has anyone seen this? Which direction should I look at to debug the
> situation?

I guess this should be fixed with 4.0~beta2+experimental2: It seems that the
GRUB module is called msdospart, not part_msdos (in line 20 of 10-setup);
Toomas, could you please check whether having msdospart in this list of modules
is necessary at all!? We might be on the safer side if we could just omit it
entirely.

Thanks a lot,