Updated FAI 3.3.5 packages for Ubuntu Lucid

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Sep 17 12:19:33 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:27:00AM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Stephan Hermann <sh at sourcecode.de> [Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 08:28:45AM +0200]:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:57:14 +0200 Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> wrote:
>
> > > Well, right now we're in the freeze stage of squeeze and whatever
> > > different dhcp client alternative could be an option, besides having
> > > to proberly rewrite several lines of code inside the initramfs
> > > scripts (don't forget the scripts that aren't part of
> > > initramfs-tools itself) the switch might (and very probably would)
> > > bring up new problems and behaviour changes. That's nothing I can
> > > propose until squeeze is out.
>
> > I think the best approach is to work together with all parties who are
> > using initramfs-tools / initramfs-live-foo. I think there are more
> > distros out there which are using klibcs ipconfig.
> > IMHO it's more a foundations topic...
>
> ACK, what's needed are people interested in discussions, providing
> patches and - speaking of the best case - having access to according
> setups. :)
>
> I have some live specific coordination stuff WRT Debian and Debian
> based (live) distributions on my agenda which might help us here. We
> - the initramfs-tools maintainers - are aware of alternative
> implementations like dracut and have them on our radar.
>
> If you're aware of any further people who might help us please let
> me know. Help and input in all the initramfs related stuff is
> definitely appreciated and welcome.

Well, Stéphane Graber from the Edubuntu Project (LTSP) did something for
replacing ipconfig with udhcpc.

He knows something about the problems too...I could approach him to jump in.

I'll ask some other people who are involved in automatic deployment via pxe etc. and
ask them how they solved the problems.

Regards,

\sh