FAI 3.4.0 config space mount problem

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Sep 3 14:14:30 CEST 2010

* Nicolas Courtel <courtel at cena.fr> [Wed Sep 01, 2010 at 12:29:55PM +0200]:
> Michael Prokop a écrit :
>> * Nicolas Courtel <courtel at cena.fr> [Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 11:42:33AM +0200]:

>>> I have a similar problem (/var/lib/fai doesn't exist in the aufs
>>> system)  with a squeeze nfsroot built from fai 3.3.5 experimental
>>> (Lenny), and the patch does not fit in live-initramfs 2.0.0-1 that is
>>> installed in the nfsroot, as there is no script 05mountpoints.

>> Yes, see my mail on debian-devel-live:

>>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.live/8859

>> So please give the following patch a try:

>>   http://grml.org/patches/0001-workaround-aufs-issue-in-kernel-versions-around-2.6..patch

>> and please report back whether that works for you.

> I applied the patch to /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live in the
> nfsroot, and it doesn't work in my 64-bit nfsroot, /var/lib still only
> contains the 'discover' directory in the aufs filesystem.

I'm not sure whether the issue is fixed for you already or not, but
just to make sure: live-boot >=2.0.1-1 provides the according fix ->
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/live-boot/news/20100901T163606Z.html

And as it came up on IRC: don't forget to upgrade
live-boot-initramfs-tools as well and rebuild the initramfs.

BTW: Sadly recent versions of live-boot* involved directory changes
(hmpf) and therefore the following line in make-fai-nfsroot fails
with recent versions of live-boot*:

  [ -d $NFSROOT/usr/share/live-initramfs ] || die "live-initramfs was not installed inside the nfsroot."

Adjusting that to check for /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live
should work for all versions of live* stuff. I'll prepare an
according FAI 3.4.2 release after 3.4.1 has entered testing.

> I found another workaround, though, using a link you sent in a previous
> mail [1] : build the squeeze amd64 nfsroot using both kernel image 2.6.33
> and live-initramfs from the GRML testing repository, along with FAI 3.4.1
> from Debian unstable.
> [1] : http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Grml_Kernel

Yes. I'll also provide ongoing support for that (kernel 2.6.35 is
WIP right now and live-initramfs will receive further fixes), but
I'd like to have a working toolchain in Debian squeeze as well.

regards,
-mika-