debootstrapping multidistributions

Rob Lemley rclemley at booksys.com
Fri Oct 29 17:39:16 CEST 2010

On 10/29/2010 03:31 AM, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>>> What is the best way to make the basefile.tar.gz?  Should we
>>> do a debootstrap and tar up the files before booting the
>>> bootstrapped system?
>>>
>> And, reading http://fai-project.org/fai-guide/ar01s07.html, I'm also
>> wondering where
>> I can put a hook in FAI to create the basefiles.tar.gz on a newly
>> bootstrapped
>> system which is being built by fai.
>>
>> It seems the hook would go right before the "configure" task.  Correct?
>>

> I don't really get why you would want to create the .tar.gz file *on* a
> bootstrapped system; as you said, you'd use debootstrap and tar up the files,
> which you could do on any system with debootstrap installed. Copy the .tar.gz
> into your config space (the basefiles/ directory) and be happy.

Sorry, that did seem a little redundant.  I was wondering if there was
anything done by FAI in addition to the debootstrap that might give us a
"better" basefile, especially if the target is a specific hardware
config on which many machines will be installed by FAI.

Also I'm thinking of adding a switch (such as variable or class) which
would cause the basefile.tgz to be created (and possibly transmitted
back to the server via the logfile saving mechanism).

Then we could easily flip the switch to generate an updated basefile.tgz
without the manual steps of running debootstrap/tar outside of FAI.  My
experience has been that the basefile.tgz speeds up the FAI install, but
after a time, the basefile.tgz gets "stale" and must be refreshed
periodically as the packages become out of date.

I'm also thinking that possibly the basefiles.tgz could be built later,
after more packages are installed, which would make an even faster FAI
bootstrap install.  Maybe this will work only if the hardware is identical?

Thanks,
Rob