setup-storage + grub2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Oct 29 13:32:08 CEST 2010

Hi Mathieu,

> Hello,
>
> Le mardi 13 avril 2010 à 11:09 +0200, Michael Tautschnig a écrit :
> > Could you give 3.4~beta1+experimental5 another chance? If you redo the
> > partitioning using this version, you'll get back the
> > first-partition-starts-at-sector-63 free space.
>
> I'm reopening an old thread !
>
> Sometimes, the 1st part is created at start sector 32 instead of 63,
> which can't let Grub2 install correctly as "Grub2 needs about 55 sectors
> free after the MBR" to be installed
> (http://www.issociate.de/board/post/501599/embedding_area_is_unusually_small..._%28GRUB2_on_software_RAID1%29.html)
>
> Error from Grub is:
> Performing GRUB install with command:
> /usr/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/target /dev/cciss/c0d0
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.  core.img won't fit in it..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.
>
> What's strange is that we don't have this on all servers, and if we
> install again, then the first part starts at sector 63.

[...]

Could you please clarify that last sentence: Does that mean, that if using the
very same install client, same FAI version, etc. and install multiple times, you
will sometimes get sector 32 and at other times sector 63?

Would you have logs of the installation of an afterwards failing system
available?

Thanks a lot,