I need some netboot help

Markus Wigge markus at cultcom.de
Fri Oct 22 09:31:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm currently trying to setup a FAI environment for our organization and
am trying to integrate it with our Citrix XenServer.

For paravirtualised VMs XenServer is aware of the Debian repository
architecture and tries to boot the kernel and initrd in
"dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/xen", so I built
my own repository infrastructure and put the original Xen-Kernel there
with a custom netboot inirtd.

Unfortunately it does not work as expected yet. For some reason the
netboot initrd image I tried is unable to mount the nfsroot. So, can
someone try to explain how to create an initrd which does the DHCP
request (there is no IP from PXE in memory while booting) and mounts the
correct nfsroot to run FAI?

My current boot-parameters look like this:
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.10.23.12:/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd FAI_ACTION=install

The reference I used was created by "fai-chboot" and did not include the
IP in the nfsroot argument, I guess it is expected to be the DHCP
"next-server" IP then?

thanks for your help,
Markus