fai-mirror for non-fai-system architectures (bug)

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Oct 13 23:04:30 CEST 2010

Hi!

[...]

> I used the ''-a'' with i386 and the mirror was build correctly, but still a problem remained: Some most packages installed but some were missing, eg. the kernel. I found that the kernel was there but apt was looking for a slightly different version of the available one. Apt wanted to install an older version but the newest was available on my mirror.
> So, again digging into ''fai-mirror'' again...
> I found the problem in the last lines of code.
>
> fai-mirror original (last lines):

[...]

> You can see that ''find'' is called several times. That causes problems if ''find'' finds more than one match. And it does that in some cases because not all packages belong to i386. Specially the kernel of the AMD64 Systems is not included in the i386 binary-tree. But since it is included (as a standard) the ''package_config/DEFAULT'' ''fai-mirror'' downloads it anyway.
> So, the execution of the following statements fail (without breaking the fai-mirror script) and prevent generating the new Release,Package,Package.gz files. This causes the described problem.
>
> Now, finally after all this description, I present you my solution. It works, but it might be not perfect. The benefit should also be that you only need to build the mirror with the following command and get a combined i386 and AMD64 mirror (but I did not yet verify this due to time issues):

[...]

Thanks a lot for looking into this problem in such detail. It seems that the -a
option was not properly implemented at some point. This point, however, remained
unclear to me: Which version of FAI are you using? I've looked at the code in
current trunk and unfortunately it seems that the patch you described will no
longer apply: These parts of the code have been rewritten a while ago. Could you
hence please do us a favour: Could you give the experimental packages (current
version should be 4.0~beta2+experimental28) a try? It's absolutely possible that
these suffer from the same brokenness, but it would be very important to be sure
about it.

Thanks a lot,