Installing Debian Squeeze (i386) - No $HOSTNAME set

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Oct 7 02:29:47 CEST 2010

* Karl Wallner <fai at karlwallner.de> [Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 09:02:37PM +0200]:
> Am 06.10.2010 01:43, schrieb Michael Tautschnig:

>> But the hostname ->  HOSTNAME stuff is still necessary?

> Yes.

Ok, I think I found the problem.

Karl, can you please do me a favour and try the following:

Edit /lib/live/config.sh and replace:

                        # 001-hostname
                        live-config.hostname=*|hostname=*)
                                LIVE_HOSTNAME="${_PARAMETER#*hostname=}"
                                ;;

with:

                        # 001-hostname
                        live-config.hostname=*|hostname=*)
                                HOSTNAME="${_PARAMETER#*hostname=}"
                                export HOSTNAME
                                ;;

and then rebuild the initrd (using update-initramfs).

Why it's working for you with HOSTNAME=.. in the kernel cmdline is
that the kernel's cmdline content is reachable and exported to
userspace and therefore the HOSTNAME you provide works within FAI.

Why it's not working with hostname=... on the other side is that the
argument to hostname=... was exported as $HOSTNAME in older
live-initramfs versions but the behaviour was changed starting with
live-config 2.0~a1-1 where it became $HOST, starting with git commit
a1486378484ab4aa86165fc0493be9ff57079725 (resulting in live-config
2.0~a4-1) it's the above mentioned $LIVE_HOSTNAME but FAI relies on
$HOSTNAME being set.

I pinged the debian-live people to make sure they are aware of this
regression for FAI, let's see if they can help us in coming up with
a solution working for both sides.

regards,
-mika-
--