host does not boot with grub_pc and /dev/sdd as boot disk

andrew bezella abezella at archive.org
Thu Nov 25 18:49:36 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 16:46 +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
[...]
> My boot disk is not hd0, but hd3 (that means sdd as in disk_var.sh).
> But 10-setup just installs grub into hd0.

[...]
> After manually calling $ROOTCMD grub-install --no-floppy "(hd3)"
> everything works just fine.
>

> Any comments?

there was some discussion last month of GRUB_PC/10-setup and recent
changes that have been made to it, including some addressing that
shortcoming.[1]

i believe that one fix (working for me w/3.3.5ubuntu3 installing lucid)
is to change the line to:
$ROOTCMD grub-install --no-floppy "$BOOT_DEVICE"

hth

andy

[1] https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2010-October/008418.html

--