debootstrapping multidistributions

Fredrik Eriksson fredrik.eriksson at axis.com
Tue Nov 23 15:24:23 CET 2010

mamadou diop wrote:
> Because of the sources.list file which only points to a Debian release
> at a given time, it seems to me
> that it is impossible to install simultaneously Debian clients with
> differents releases. Is my opinion true?
We actually have this in our current testing environment.
What you typically want is to have two files in your fai/config/ tree, a
sources.list file and a hook script (at least this is how we solve it).
The sources.list file should be named after a class, where you for
example define what distribution to run, and be put in
fai/config/files/etc/apt/sources.list/, i.e
fai/config/files/etc/apt/sources.list/LENNY_AMD64.
As for the hook script ours is called
fai/config/hooks/updatebase.DEFAULT and is a small shell script to say
the least:

 #! /bin/bash

 fcopy -Bi /etc/apt/sources.list

What it does is that it takes the file based on your defined class, for
example fai/config/files/etc/apt/sources.list/SQUEEZE_X86, and copy it
to /etc/apt/sources.list on your target system. Thus you can have
multiple sources.list files aimed at different releases (and
distributions or architectures if needed).

I hope this answers your question.

Regards
--
Fredrik