Bug: device2grub not compatible with grub_pc

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Tue Nov 16 13:26:52 CET 2010

> On the one hand, yes, please file a bug report!

Done.

>  This is almost the only way we
> could get this into squeeze given that we are in very deep freeze. Well, given
> that this is considered "documentation only" for FAI, it could actually be
> doable without a bugreport, but anyway, a bug report would be the safe bet.

Just a comment...

While the sample scripts technically are "documentation", in practice
they are very much a part of FAI. I hardly can imagine a novice user
starting to use FAI successfully without using the sample scripts as a
base. Thus the bug would affect anyone trying to install grub_pc in a
non-standard partition.

> For the actual solution, however, I wonder whether we couldn't actually solve
> this by completely getting rid of device2grub. If you take a look at the latest
> experimental builds then you'll see that GRUB_PC/10-setup doesn't even use it
> anymore. Could you maybe give a try to this updated example script?

I shall try to have a look within the coming days. Probably not today
however.

Toomas