setup storage error on multi partition software raid

David Dreezer dave at socialstrata.com
Tue Nov 16 00:54:13 CET 2010

Hi,

Attached please find the debug fai.log from a failed attempt using setup-storage using a simple machine with two IDE drives, hoping to setup software raid. The logs indicate that everything seems to be working well, assigning the appropriate /dev/md number to the proper /dev/hda and hdb partitions until line 881, where (if I am interpreting the logs correctly) I see that

mdadm --create skips over the assignment of/dev/md6 completely and tries to assign /dev/hda8 and /dev/hdb8 to /dev/md7 yet finds an existing /dev/md6 made up of hda8,hdb8. It seems to be refusing to break that existing grouping. I don't know why it is refusing, all of the previous partitions also exist, this is a running server that I'm trying to reinstall.

From that point it appears to me as though it is going back through and trying to fix the assignments to my current specification, and as I see no error I think it worked, but yet

Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action task main
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.

Is the fatal error due to the existing configuration as complained about on line 881?

Thank you for your help with this.

David Dreezer