algorithm of setting BOOT_DEVICE

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Nov 10 11:10:51 CET 2010

> Hello all!
>
> Is there a human-language description of how the value of BOOT_DEVICE
> gets determined in setup-storage? I tried to read the sources
> (/usr/share/fai/setup-storage/Fstab.pm) but there are several pieces of
> code dealing with assignment of this variable and tracking the necessary
> conditions is complicated.

Unfortunately no, I think I never properly documented this anywhere. It should
be done, though, and probably the setup-storage man page would be the best
place. I'll try to fix this soon, but one of the core problems is that AFAIK the
version in trunk and the experimental one differ in this regard. Which version
would you be interested in?

> I would also want to know if there is a "standard" way of overriding the
> decision of setup-storage (with regard to BOOT_DEVICE) for any
> particular class of computers?

Would you mind explaining why you'd need to override this? The reason I'm asking
is that if you have a case possibly relevant to others then we might want to add
this to setup-storage.

Anyway, overriding is utterly simple: Under the assumption that you use grub,
the only point where $BOOT_DEVICE is actually used is
files/boot/grub/menu.lst/postinst - which is part of your config space, if you
based it on the provided simple example. And of course you are free to do
whatever you like in this script...

Hope this helps,