DHCP environment prepared?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed May 19 03:26:37 CEST 2010

    > During fai-setup, the following message is always printed:

    > DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable the dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.

    > What is the meaning behind the "DHCP environment prepared."?
It means, that the pxelinux/cfg ditrectory is created and the kernel,
the initramfs and pxelinux.0 is copied to the tftp directory.
You are right, the DHCP daemon itself is not set up.

    > I have so far always configured my DHCP server manually. Does this
    > message imply that there is an easier way?
No. I think it's not easy to configure the DHCP by FAI. I guess people
have very different and maybe complicated DHCP setups, so it's easier
to let people to this instead of a script that will break an existing
dhcpd.conf. Btw, the next FAI version will have a simple script, that
helps adding/removing host entries to/from your dhcpd.conf.