setup-storage and preserving partitions

Jeffrey Stolte stolte at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 26 16:50:34 CET 2010

We have been using FAI for several years, but have just started to try
disk partitioning with setup-storage.  Our standard disk configuration
uses 2 primary partitions and 3 logical partitions.  We would like
to preserve the *size* of all partitions and preserve the *contents*
of only the last two logical partitions.  Here is how we did this
with setup_harddisks:

disk_config sda
primary  /       preserve1   defaults,errors=remount-ro       ; -j ext3 format
primary  swap    preserve2   sw                               ; format
logical  /var    preserve5   defaults,errors=remount-ro       ; -j ext3 format
logical  /home   preserve6   defaults,nosuid,nodev,errors=remount-ro  ; ext3
logical  /d1     preserve7   defaults,nosuid,nodev,errors=remount-ro  ; ext3

I have not been able to find the proper syntax to use with setup-storage
to achieve this same result.  I think it should look something like the
following, but I'm not sure what to put in the "size" column:

disk_config sda disklabel:msdos bootable:1 preserve_always:6,7
primary  /      ??   ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro    createopts="-j"
primary  swap   ??   swap  sw
logical  /var   ??   ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro    createopts="-j"
logical  /home  ??   ext3  defaults,nosuid,nodev,errors=remount-ro
logical  /d1    ??   ext3  defaults,nosuid,nodev,errors=remount-ro

(Note that the partition sizes may vary from machine to machine.)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Jeff Stolte