Troubleshootings with the installation of FAI Server

Erwan Hesry erwan.hesry at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Mar 16 19:43:11 CET 2010

Welcome,

As I said, I had some troubleshootings when I wanted to install my server
using the FAI-Guide.

First, in the /etc/fai/fai.conf, there are many variables that in the last
release I don't need and finally, I just use LOGUSER, FAI_LOGPROTO, MNTPOINT
and FAI.

Next, there's no problem in the make-fai-nfsroot.conf, the default
configuration works fine, I just had to change for the DEBOOTSTRAP because I
have a local Debian mirror.

The dhcpd.conf example is good but on the guide, I didn't see that I
absolute need to configure the DHCP with static address for client (not
range address but exclusively IP address when the Mac Address is known).

In the last release of FAI, and in the inetd file, there is a little thing
to change : with the FAI-CD or fai-quickstart, the default folder is
/srv/tftp/fai and not /boot/fai

However the paragraph which talk about configuration of PXE with fai-chboot
is, I think, not very well explain : the tips with the hostname and its IP
address in /etc/hosts to use the command fai-chboot -IFv hostname isn't very
well explain in the docs.

And the final thing, which don't allow the client to download all images
files at startup is the access right, I had to put it at 777 on the folder
/srv/tftp/fai

After there's no problem about the HDD configuration (but on a VMware
computer, I had to set the size in Mb, the method using per-centage didn't
work) and about the packets.

I think I've said all my problems and now there's no more.
As I said to Thomas Lange, I'll probably make a little tutorial on the
website www.idum.fr, so if you'll want to see and to see if I explain fine,
I could send it to you.