setup-storage : Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Mar 4 09:36:20 CET 2010

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Could one get any information how the disk label on the SAN was created?
>
> I'll try to get tha info as well as the parted version. It might a
> somewhat older version, as a mirror was used with Lenny, but not
> updated to the newest state, but frozen some time back. (but the
> latest FAI version anyway!)
>
> So, you're sure it's the SAN that makes the trouble?

Yes. BTW, if they could just detach it while installing the system, everything
should be fine.

> Then, shouldn't setup-storage ignore errors and problems on disks that
> should not be changed, aren't even mentioned in the setup storage
> config file?
> Is that possible, or does parted always try to analyze(or whatever)
> all disks attached to the system, and in this case, crash due some
> problem?

Hmm, that is a good point. Once the config is parsed setup-storage should really
know which devices it must possibly touch. The failing step is just at the point
where setup-storage collects all the information about the system, and it is
fairly greedy about this. But not necessarily so. I guess I should improve on
this. It will require some additional code to scan the configuration for
possible devices, but that's ok.

Best,