The NFSROOT variable and extrbase task.

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Tue Jun 22 08:36:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 19:43 +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> hiya
>
> > I was writing a hook to replace the extrbase task.
>
> Could you please keep me informed on this? I'm interested in how and why
> you replaced the hook. (I did the same to support debian and ubuntu and
> move the basefiles to a different location.)

I am debugging install of diskless machines. Both the CPU and network
connection are rather slow, so I created an option to unpack the
base.tgz manually on the disk server, thus speeding up the installation
by about 15 minutes. This would not be usable in a large scale
deployment situation, because human intervention and interaction are
required.

The NFSROOT problem did not hurt me in any way, I just checked if all
variables are available and noticed that NFSROOT sometimes is not.

Regards,

Toomas