setting up Debian Squeeze with a Debian Lenny fai server

Axel Freyn axel-freyn at gmx.de
Fri Jun 18 17:42:51 CEST 2010

Hi,
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 04:58:06PM +0200, Stefan Pampel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im successfull set up a Debian Lenny fai server with Lenny Client
> installation.
>
> Now I wanted to start a squeeze installation. I created a copy of
> /etc/fai named /etc/fai-squeeze and modified the settings in
> fai-squeeze/make-fai-nfs-root.conf and  fai-squeeze/apt-sources.list
> point the nfs-root to /srv/fai/nfs-root-squeeze
>
> I run fai-setup -vC /srv/nfs-root-squeeze and many errors came up, like
>
> chroot: cannot run 'apt-get' ..
> ..
> 	cannot run dpkg
> and so on:
>
> Whats wrong? Can I go like this or have I go the multidistro way like
> here (base.tar.gz ...)
> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/UbuntuJauntyInstallationHowTo

I never tried it like that -- however I expect that your way should work.
Apparently your FAI-setup got stuck during the creation of the NFS-root.
However, why exactly I have no idea - could you send us the exact error
messages (maybe only the first ones...)
Did you also change FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP in
/etc/fai-squeeze/make-fai-nfs-root.conf to point to squeeze?

In theory the nfs-root should be completely independent from the "main"
system on the server, except from the common Kernel.

HTH,

Axel