strange error messages from setup-storage

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Thu Jun 17 18:02:09 CEST 2010

Hi!

I tried to use setup-storage for the first time and ran into some
unexpected error messages. It took me quite some time to figure out what
was the error and I may still be missing some bits and pieces.

Example 1:

disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos bootable:1
primary / 1000

Error message is:
       ERROR (line 2): Invalid file: Was expecting /\Z/ but found "primary /
                       1000" instead

When I add "ext3 -" to the end of the line, the message goes away.

Example 2:

disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos bootable:1
primary / 1000
primary /tmp 1000 ext3 -

Error message is:

unknown/invalid filesystem type primary (mkfs.primary not found in PATH)
primary /tmp 1000 ext3

It seems to me that if the parser of setup-storage does not find enough
information on a given line, it reads into the next line, and then
outputs an incomprehensible error message.

Of course, it first hit me with a much more complicated disk
configutation file and it took some time to figure out what is going
one. I think the parser could be improved so that missing parameters
would be reported as such.

I am using 3.4~beta1+experimental15 .
--
Toomas Tamm                                 e-mail: tt-fai (at) yki.ttu.ee
Chair of Inorganic Chemistry                voice:  INT+372-620-2810