Failed to obtain UUID

Ahmad Khayyat akhayyat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:30:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have setup FAI from debian squeeze about a month or so back, and
have been successfully testing it since until two nights ago!

While it was working perfectly, now, after building a fresh
nfsroot from squeeze (fai-setup), the client node installation fails
at the disk format task,
with the following message:
"Failed to obtain UUID for /dev/mapper/main-root". Looking at the
format.log (attached), I found out that fai-vol_id -u
/dev/mapper/main-root returns nothing, and so does fai-vol_id -l.
Further investigation revealed that there is no UUID set for that
device (/dev/mapper/main-root). I verified this by running blkid, the
tool that fai-vol_id calls behind the scenes in my setup.

Referring to my disk_config (attached in-line below), I have three
disk volumes: /dev/md0 (/boot - raid1), /dev/mapper/main-swap (swap -
lvm lv on /dev/md1 raid10), and /dev/mapper/main-root (/ - lvm lv on
/dev/md1 raid10). Running blkid on the client node after the disk task
fails shows UUIDs
for everything except /dev/mapper/main-root. The raw disk partitions
(/dev/sd[abcd][12]), the raid devices
(/dev/md[01]) and the swap volume (/dev/mapper/main-swap) all have UUIDs.
I find this extremely strange
since the same exact disk_config file was working fine, and I could
not pinpoint a package upgrade in squeeze the can be responsible -
although I haven't looked for one hard enough, admittedly.

I repeated the experiment on a working pair of nodes: a FAI server and
a FAI client. Using the old nfsroot, the client got past the
disk_config without error. After rebuilding the nfsroot (rm -r
/srv/fai/nfsroot; fai-setup -U -v) and absolutely no other changes,
the client install fails at the disk_config.

My disk_config. Physical disks: 4x250GB.
============  disk_config  =====================
disk_config sda bootable:1
primary  -     500MiB   -      -
primary  -     0-       -      -

disk_config sdb bootable:1
primary  -     500MiB   -      -
primary  -     0-       -      -

disk_config sdc bootable:1
primary  -     500MiB   -      -
primary  -     0-       -      -

disk_config sdd bootable:1
primary  -     500MiB   -      -
primary  -     0-       -      -

disk_config raid

raid1    /boot    sda1,sdb1,sdc1,sdd1    ext4    rw     createopts="-L boot"
raid10   -        sda2,sdb2,sdc2,sdd2    -       -

disk_config lvm
vg          main     md1
main-swap   swap     4GiB     swap    sw
createopts="-L swap"
main-root   /        0-       ext4    rw,errors=remount-ro
createopts="-L root"