Unattended install without boot control

Olivier Parisy olivier.parisy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 07:46:08 CEST 2010

  Le 22/07/2010 00:03, Henning Sprang a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Olivier Parisy
> <olivier.parisy at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So my question is: can I manually install a very simple Debian system, and
>> then mount an FAI arborescence (using NFS through SSH as an example) and let
>> FAI perform the actual server configuration / installation?
> What you want to do is softupdates.
>
> You don't need an nfs share, you can use a config space somewhere on
> the filesystem of the machine to be installed, or one some subversion
> server accessible from the system.
>
> All you need to do then is configure the config space location in
> fai.conf and fai softupdate
This I can do, yes. So I would just need to install a bare Debian
system, the fai package, change a config file, and the rest of the
install would go unattended... Fair enough, considering my constraints.

> Check out the documentation parts about softupdates.
This has the nice side effect that I wanted to study softupdates to
maintain my servers up to date anyway. It's a god thing I can use the
same mechanism to install and administer servers.

Thanks,
Olivier.