Unattended install without boot control

Olivier Parisy olivier.parisy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:54:16 CEST 2010

  Hi,

I would like to use FAI in order to standardize hosted servers
installation and, if needed, perform "disaster recovery".

The idea is to perform FAI installation / maintenance of dedicated
servers rented to an hosting company.

Their specificity is that the only way I can boot those servers is on
their hard disks, or on predefined, host-provided installation ISOs.
Network boot is out of question.

This is actually not so bad, since I can install a base Debian system
from one of those ISOs, and the default kernel is then a custom-compiled
one with respect to the underlying hardware.

So my question is: can I manually install a very simple Debian system,
and then mount an FAI arborescence (using NFS through SSH as an example)
and let FAI perform the actual server configuration / installation?

Regards.