FAI and yaml [Work in progress]

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Jul 19 20:49:03 CEST 2010

hiya

As mentioned at the linux workshop I'm in the process of combining fai
with yaml-configuration files. My reason is a very wide range of
supported configurations. Using classes is quite cumbersome.

As an example I attached the config file for one of our servers, so you
can get a general idea how this could pan out. (The format is not final
-> work in progress!)

use cases:
- use the file as an interface between class/ and the rest of fai
- use as input for a configuration management software
- let the user manually create such a file and use it for generic fai
scripts (make first steps with fai easier?)

Since we're in the process of switching database layouts the first use
case is the most important to me at the moment. I have two different
configuration backends which both generate the same yaml-files. (In our
cases both backends are databases, but it could also be a dns, ldap or
no backend at all (store and use files directly). In the end there is a
distinct line between configuration logic (class/) and execution logic
(scripts/, hooks/).

On a sidenote: I think it is possible to use yaml as a superset to
classes - it should be possible to use a yaml-file as input and create
appropriate classes on the fly.

example:

config:
   ipv6: false