partitioning bug?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Jul 10 15:17:24 CEST 2010

[...]

> > IMO this is only a minor bug. If you specify 99%- and no other
> > partition, then setup-storage will put the whole disk size into
> > this partition. People know, that you cannot use 100% of a disk,
> > since there's always some overhead. Even the MBR is sort of
> > overhead. You will also not get 100% inside your file system.
> >

> Ok, let's say it this way. As a user, who has partitioning in his mind using tools like fdisk or parted, 100% is not 100% of the disk. It is 100% of the available disk space for a partition. The way it is implemented, it is not the way one would expect since one wants to partition. Imagine the tools console UIs. They do not offer you % normally. But they offer Start and End, where End is predefined by the maximum amount the partition can have (aka. 100% if there is non already).
> So, to use % in a more complicated scenario: defining part1 = 20%, part2 = 50%, part3 = 30% is not working.
>
> Do you think that is what anyone would expect?
> I can understand that from a bare metal technical view it might be correct --- as you mentioned 100% of the bare disk size can't be used because of overhead. But this is a tool you want to work with and therefore needs to have the user in focus, isn't it?
>
> > @Michael: I think it should be ok, to document that people should use
> > 99%- instead of 100%.
>
> I agree. At least you need to document this for the user. But doesn't this proves my point? You need to document it because one would most likely not expect this behavior.

You're right, a tool like setup-storage should rather hide the technical details
and make 100% the user's 100%. And given a partition scheme as you suggested
above with multiple %-sized partitions the 99%- "solution" doesn't work out
nicely anymore. I will therefore try to fix this properly inside setup-storage,
but please don't expect that to happen in the next days.

Best,