partitioning bug?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Jul 6 12:57:28 CEST 2010

Hi!

> Hi,
>
> I just do my first steps with fai and had some problems. After a few debugging steps - not many since I am new to fai - it seems to me that there is a bug in the partitioning by the "setup-storage" program. Maybe you can help me to figure out if it is really a bug or just a mistake of mine.
>
> At the end of my post I am pasting the debug code of setup-storage.
>
> As you can see, my system has three Harddrives. One of them is almost 3 TB and therefore partitioned using gpt. The problem is with that (sdc). I set this up with one partition using 100% of the space. This does not work for sdc.
> As you can see almost at the bottom of the debug code, there is an error thrown in the middle of the output. It sais that sdc is too small. I looked around a little and could not find any clue about where the program get that exact number. So I hope you can make more out of it.

The problem is that setup-storage will first take your 100% and convert it to
bytes; then it adds space needed for partition tables, extended partitions, etc.
This results in that "strange" number.

> I solved the problem by setting the size in the config file to 99%.
>
> Since I am still working on my configuration I can provide you more information, if needed --- at least for a little while.

I think things should be exactly the way you want them to be if you use "0-"
instead of "100%". Could you give that a try.

I'm not sure whether I'd call this a bug or just a problem of interpreting
values. Maybe we should first sum up overhead costs, subtract that from the disk
size and then evalute relative values such as "100%". Not sure, though.

Hope this helps,