Custom package conflicts

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 15:13:27 CET 2010

On 22 Jan 2010, at 1:00 pm, David Ward wrote:

> I guess the problem with this approach is I need to take the custom
> pkg out
> of the package_config list, since I will be installing it from a
> hook.  But
> then the pkg will no longer be pulled into the mirror on my CD.  How
> do you
> get a package or any file onto an fai-cd without having it be
> handled by
> install_packages?

It's perfectly possible to have packages which overwrite files in
other packages, but rather than doing a force-overwrite, you should
probably put appropriate stuff in your local custom package's postinst
and prerm scripts to do the appropriate magic with dpkg-divert to stop
the packages fighting.  Do that, and the problem goes away.

Tim