FAI & cfengine

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:21:08 CET 2010

I am currently trying to set up a cfengine system on my network. The first
thing I want to do is try to make sure all of the client machines have the
same config files for things like NTP, cron, etc. It occured to me that the
canonical copies of those files are within my FAI config directory. So it
should be possible for me to make a change to a file with my FAI config
directory and have cfengine automatically ship it out to all the machines
that have already been set up. But how to do that?

I'm thinking of moving the FAI files to a "normal" heirarchy within the
cfengine space. So my canonical nntp config file would be in
/var/lib/cfengine2/clientfiles/etc/ntp.conf. And within the FAI space,
there'd be a symlink from /srv/fai/config/files/etc/ntp.conf/MYCLASS to the
"real" file.

Has anybody ever managed a configuration like this? Any other (better) ways
to do what I want to do?