instsoft hangs, same place for multiple nodes

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jan 8 14:08:03 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 01:01:06PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > This time, all 5 nodes get stuck in the same place:
>
>     > # tail fai.log
>     > Get:248 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main rstatd 4.0.1-3 [15.8kB]
>     > Get:249 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main rusers 0.17-7.1 [13.0kB]
>     > Get:250 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main rusersd 0.17-7.1 [11.0kB]
>     > Get:251 http://10.100.200.98 packages.amd64/ smartmontools 5.38+svn091119-1sg [418kB]
>     > Get:252 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main sudo 1.6.9p17-2 [188kB]
>     > Get:253 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main wakeonlan 0.41-10 [11.4kB]
>     > Get:254 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main xfsprogs 2.9.8-1lenny1 [1376kB]
>     > Get:255 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main xfsdump 2.2.48-1 [306kB]
>     > Get:256 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main octave-plplot 5.9.0-8 [397kB]
>     > Get:257 http://10.100.200.98 lenny/main rsh-server 0.17-14 [39.3kB]
>

>     > How can I find out what's going wrong? A serial-over-LAN connection to the
>     > BMC stops transmitting even 31 lines before Get:257 :(
>
>     > No changes made to the FAI configuration space.
> Did the mirror of Debian packages changed? Sometimes I also got a

As mirrors use to...

I'm rebuilding the mirror for the arch affected now.

> stuck installation, but mostly if too many packages are installed at
> once. Therefore I set the variable MAXPACKAGES to a lower value. I use
> 500 or 300 here.

Since the download stopped at 257, I'll set this to 100 or 200.

> IMO this is a bug in apt, since the download stucks, not FAI itself.

Any chance to get debugging output?

Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/