Using fai-cd from Lenny to install Etch clients

David Ward ansona10 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 22:50:48 CET 2010

Hmmm... I guess I was on the right track!  Michael's suggestion worked
out fine.  There is aufs source in Etch backports - build that against
whatever patch level you need on another Debian and create a deb file.
Copy it to the nfs root on the Lenny FAI server machine -

scp aufs-modules-2.6.18-6-486_0+20070806-1~bpo40+1+2.6.18.dfsg.1-24_i386.deb
Lenny:/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/root

On the Lenny -
chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
dpkg -i
/root/aufs-modules-2.6.18-6-486_0+20070806-1~bpo40+1+2.6.18.dfsg.1-24_i386.deb
depmod -a 2.6.18-6-486
update-initramfs -u -v  (verify it adds aufs)

Then exit the chroot and proceed with fai-cd -
fai-cd -m /fai-etch-partial-mirror my-cd.iso

You may need to remove aufs from /etc/fai/NFSROOT when running
make-fai-nfsroot for Etch.  Aufs is apparently only needed in the initrd.

The other confusion for me is I expected to have the Lenny kernel (2.6.26-2)
running during the install on the target.  I thought I was creating a Lenny
live CD to install an Etch 2.6.18-6 client.  But instead the CD appears to
use the client kernel the whole time - can anybody clue me in?

Thanks,
Dave