problem mounting nfs

Martin Schulte schulte-martin at web.de
Sat Jan 2 11:58:59 CET 2010

Hi,
I'm trying to use fai for my first time. It's also the first time I get in contact with nfs and these things. So maybe the following questions a very simple...
I use an debian etch server with DHCP an DNS.

1.
I setup fai following the guide from the website. There is an existing dhcp server an I add

    use-host-decl-names on;# <====================
    server-name faiserver;# <====================
    next-server faiserver;# <====================
    filename "fai/pxelinux.0";# <====================

to the dhcp.conf an resarted dhcp.
There are also hosts like these:

    host static00 {
    hardware ethernet 00:90:F5:67:64:3F;
    fixed-address static00;
    }

2.
I also complement the inetd.conf, now there is this line inside:

    tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s
    /srv/tftp/

after this: /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart

3.
In the fai.conf i complement

    LOGUSER=fai

an in mke-fai-nfsroot.conf

    FAI_ROOTPW='my password'  (with md5)

The rest i leave untouched, especially there is this entry
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="etch http://ftp.debian.org/debian"

4.
The /etc/exports contains these entries

    /srv/fai/config 10.0.2.2/255.255.254.0(async,ro,no_subtree_check)
    /srv/fai/nfsroot
    10.0.2.2/255.255.254.0(async,ro,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

5.
The 50-host-classes now looks like these

    case $HOSTNAME in
        static*)
        echo "FAIBASE DEMO FAISERVER" ;;
       demohost)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO" ;;
        gnomehost)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO XORG GNOME";;
        atom*)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO" ;;
        *)
        echo "FAIBASE DHCPC" ;;
    esac

    (ifclass I386 || ifclass AMD64) && echo GRUB
    exit 0

The problem

When booting the client, after some time it stops by printing:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block (2,0)

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (2,0)

So, something went wrong while mounting the nfs directory, but i do not
know, how to handle this error.

Bye, martin